Much of the data I had from several different sources showed a line of progression
through Thomas Tinsley I, Thomas II, Thomas III, Thomas IV and Thomas V. I am ready to
concede that this is not true. There are entirely too many Thomases and the whole matter
is confusing. Between Joe Downing .
and Maria Rippe I am ready to show the following line for my ancestors. (As a matter of
record the major disagreement is Thomas I and Thomas II are out and John Tinsley is in.
Also, Thomas Tinsley III married Frances Bickley instead of Mary Unknown. Jennie Gaines
Tinsley data shows that the Thomas Tinsley that married Frances Bickley (Brickley) was the
son of Cornelius Tinsley, 3rd child of Thomas Tinsley I. Another somewhat major
disagreement is the children of Thomas Tinsley III (whoever his wife was), agree except
for John Tinsley who married Sarah -- I had no record of him.) Even
though Thomas I and II are gone I am leaving the IV and V for these Thomases.
Data I show in parenthesis, ie., (Garland) means Rippe does not confirm this.
Also Bold indicates a change.
DATA SHOWN 'GENERALLY' AGREES WITH THE INFORMATION IN MARIA RIPPE'S BOOK,
The Tinsley Family of Totomoi - Hanover County Virginia, 1755-1920. Maria Rippe
is descended from James Garland Tinsley's 3rd child, Martha Winston Tinsley.
Martha's 7th child was Maria Boswell Alsop and her only child was Maria Boswell
Wornom who married Peter Rippe. My line is through Seaton Grantland
Tinsley and Fannie Gaines, so we are both descended from Thomas Garland Tinsley.
John Tinsley married Unknown and had issue:
- Thomas Tinsley (III) 1705- 1761 married Frances Bickley in 1726 b.1-31-1709. Frances
was the dau of Joseph Bickley and Sarah Unknown. They had 7 children:
- Thomas Tinsley (IV) 1731-1774 married Agnes (Garland?) (in 1754) and had
5 children: (This is the first line shown in Maria Rippe's Book,
"The Tinsley Family of Totomoi" 2009)
- Crutchfield Tinsley, d. ca 1774
- Col. Thomas Tinsley (V) 9-4-1755 d.12-17-1822 m. 5-30-1782 Susanna
"Susan" Thomson b.12-5-1765
d.7-29-1844. They had 6 children but only 3 lived to
maturity. :Served as a Capt and later
Colonel in Militia in Revolutionary War.
- (John Thomson Tinsley 3-5-1783 3-16-1784.)
- Mary Tinsley b.8-10-1786 d.10-22-1819 m.9-12-1805 David Johnson 1778-1823, son of Thomas Johnson
and Elizabeth Hudson. They had 7 children, 2 died young:
Thomas Garland Tinsley b.12-30-1788 d.9-14-1859 m.
11-21-1820 Harriet W. Bryan b.1803 d.1841. 4 children by Harriet Bryan:
- Thomas Tinsley Johnson b. 1806
- Lucy Ann Rebecca Johnson 1808-1831m. William Bowe Tinsley.(see
- Peter Tinsley Johnson b 1811
- William Galt Johnson b 1813 (not shown in my data)
- Mary Tinsley Johnson b.1819 m. Samuel Greenhow
- Thomas Garland Tinsley b.10-5-1825 d.7-14-1873 never married.
- Harriet Bryan Tinsley b.1828 d.1903 m. Jacquelin Taliaferro
- Alexander Tinsley b.1832 d.1911/12 m. Mary Dare Parran
- Seaton Grantland Tinsley b.1836
d.1901 m. Fannie Gaines
Thomas Garland Tinsley married 2nd on 11-22-1842 Patsy Rutherford b.1803
Ann 'Nancy' Tinsley b.2-22-1791 d.12-10-1823 .
- James Garland Tinsley
1843-1920 m. Martha "Pattie" Winston Jones 1843-1911.
Harriet Tinsley b.10-26-1797 d.11-6-1803.
Samuel Tinsley 1758-10-22-1833. Third child of Thomas Tinsley IV and
Agnes, never married.(Served with Major John Nelso in 'Revolutionary War
as an officer. in militia.)
John Tinsley 1760-1/1814 (Fourth child of Thomas Tinsley IV and Agnes Garland) m. Sarah
Chapman Austin b.xxxx d.1790 2nd. Mrs. Ann Quarles Washington b.xxxx d.8-1836 (Mrs.
Henry Washington). They lived in Tinsley Hall. John and Sarah had 3 children:
- William Bowe Tinsley 1807-1864, illegitimate son of John Bowe.
Ann Tinsley m.10-8-1818 Seaton Grantland b.6-8-1782 d.1864
- Fleming Grantland 1819--1854.
- Susan Mary Grantland 1821-1897 m. David Jackson Bailey.
- Ann Virginia Grantland 1823-1909 m. Charles Du Bignon.
- Anne A. Tinsley b.4-29-1788 d.1-5-1820 m. 8-20-1804 Thomas Johnson
d.12-12-1864 of Hanover Co. but moved to GA. They had 6 children:
Sarah Austin Tinsley 1790-1875 (2nd child of John Tinsley and Sarah Austin) m.2-3-1814
George Diefendorf Hendree 1792-1834. They had 9 children:
- John T. Winston b.2-4-1806 d.12-29-1854.
- Joseph Bickerton Winston b.12-25-1807.
- Sarah A. E. Winston b.8-28-1810.
- Thomas (I) Winston b.2-19-1813.
- George H. Winston b.3-5-1815.
- Mary (I) Winston b.6-23-1817 d.11-24-1844.
Eliza Pryor Tinsley b.1792 (dau. of John Tinsley and Ann
Quarles Washington) m.7-8-1814 Dr. Joseph Royster. They had 1 child:
- John Hendree
- George Hendree
- Agnes Garland Hendree
- Susan Hendree
- Anna Maria Hendree
- Arthur Hendree
- Sarah Austin Hendree
- William Hendree
- Catherine Hendree
Peter Tinsley b.xxxx d.7-21-1810 (5th child of Thomas Tinsley IV and Agnes Garland) m.
7-12-1803 Maria Brown. They lived in Totomoi and Peter was Clerk of High Court. After his
death, Maria married Benjamin Mosby. (My data shows Mariah Brown) They had 4 children:
- Sarah Eliza Royster m.5-8-1835 Isaac Samson Tinsley b.11-6-1806 d.10-11-1881. Isaac was
a Baptist Minister in several VA Counties. They had 2 children:
- Sallie Royster Tinsley
- J. Tinsley
- John Brown Tinsley b.1804 d.1872 m.11-3-1825 Eliza S. Trueheart and they lived near Big
Island, VA. They had 2 children:
George Wythe Tinsley b.1806 m.6-18-1828 Julianna H. Trueheart b.1810 in Amelia Co..
d.1860. (my data just shows Wythe Tinsley). They had 7 children:
- Elizabeth 'Bettie' Tinsley b.8-25-1826 d.9-6-1875
- Rev. Peter Tinsley b.8-26-1833 d.1-4-1908. Peter was Rector of the Old St. Johns
Episcopal Church in Big Lick, now Roanoke, VA. Went to Cincinatti as Rector of Church of
Agnes Anne. Tinsley 1808-1883 m.9-20-1825 Dr.. Daniel A. Penick.
Peter Tinsley b.1810, 4th child of Peter Tinsley and Maria Brown, m. c.1842 Mary
Ann Lockett b.1818. They had 3 children:
- Julia B. Tinsley b.1833
- Emily Tinsley b.1835
- Ella Tinsley b.1836
- Nancy Tinsley b.1838
- Octavia Tinsley b.1840
- Wythe Tinsley b.1843
- Charles Tinsley b.1846
- Benjamin Francis Tinsley b.1842
- Mary E. Tinsley b.1845
- William W. Tinsley b.1849
BELIEVE THIS IS THE END OF THE LINEAGE IN MARIA RIPPE'S BOOK.
Lucy Tinsley b.xxxx d.10-18-1785 (2nd child of Thomas 3 Tinsley and Frances Bickley)
married Richard Pickering
Charles Tinsley b.xxxx d.2-1774.
Wyatt Tinsley b.xxxx d.xxxx married Elizabeth Unknown. (My data showed Wyatt but no
other data.) Wyatt and Elizabeth had 3 children:
Elizabeth Tinsley b.xxxx d.xxxx (5th child of Thomas 3 Tinsley and Frances Bickley).
William Tinsley b.1735 d.1800 m. 1761 Jane Geese b.1743d.1799. More data available.
John Tinsley b.xxxx d.11-1795 m. Sarah Unknown b.xxxx d.>1795. (This person not shown
on Jennie Gaines Tinsley data.) More data available.
Joshua Tinsley b.xxxx d.xxxx m. Unknown and had issue:
- William Tinsley b.1755 d.>1805 m. Elizabeth Unknown b.xxxx d.>1810. They had 2
- Sarah Tinsley b.6-25-1794 d.5-22-1883 m. on 2-21-1811 John Kirkpatrick b.4-24-1786
d.8-24-1859, son of Francis Kirkpatrick.
- William Tinsley b.xxxx d.xxxx m. Rebecca Mulkey, dau. of Rev. Philip Mulkey III and Ruth
- John Tinsley b.1764 d.xxxx moved to KY in 1810.
- Frances Tinsley b.1-20-1770 d.12-26-1845 m. on 3-16-1793 Samuel Davis b.10-10-1762 and
they had 6 children:
- Nannie T. Davis
- Sarah T. Davis
- William Wyatt Davis
- Frances Elizabeth Davis
- Mary Ann Davis
- Emily Jane Davis
- Margaret Tinsley b.xxxx d.xxxx m. John Noel 1721-1801.
Home Page Links Tinsley Home Page
Last updated 5/14/2011
Page by F. L. Preston