Seaton Grantland Tinsley 1836-1901
Seaton Grantland Tinsley, b.8/13/1836 d. 1/1/1901, son of Thomas
Garland Tinsley and his wife Harriet Bryan, married Frances
'Fannie' William Gaines b.11-11-1836 d.1-27-1921 on May 2, 1860. Seaton worked in a
carpet store until the Civil War broke out. Then he entered the Treasury Dept. of
the Confederate Government. During the latter part of the war he served with
General Lee and later surrendered with Lee at Appomattox. After the war he was
appointed assistant or Deputy Treasurer in which position he served for 18 years.
They had 7 children:
- Harriet Bryan Tinsley
(2/18/1861)(7/1/1897) m. James B. Preston on October 20, 1890.
- Jennie Gaines Tinsley (9/13/1863)(died ~1940) (Aunt
Gee), never married.
- William Fleming Tinsley b.(9/9/1866)d.1927 m. Martha 'Mattie' William Hughes 1867-1926
(daughter of Dr. James Fife Hughes 1833-1916 and Ann Ryals Hughes b.xxxx d.1904 of Clifton Forge) on 4/17/1892. Dr.
Hughes was a Civil War Surgeon married to Ann Ryals. William and Martha had 3
Fannie Taliaferro Tinsley (8/14/1870) m. Justin Kenderdine Anderson on February 26,
1895. (Aunt Fanny). They lived in West Virginia and had 3 children:
- Carrie Gaines Tinsley b.2/2/1893 d.1953 m. William O. Tavenner 1889-1947 and they had 2 children:
- Martha Isabell Tavenner b.10-24-1921 m. Mr. Sutherland. They had 2 children:
- James Clifton Sutherland
- Ann Tinsley Sutherland
- Robert Thompson Tavenner b.10-23-1924 m. Unknown and they had 3 children:
- Gaines Robert Tavenner
- Susan Lynn Tavenner
- William Harris Tavenner
- Hattie Ryals Tinsley b.4/12/1896 d. 1981 m. on 4-29-1920 Leslie M. Stratton b.1895
d.10-24-1926. Hattie and Leslie had 2 children:
- Carolyn Louise Stratton b.2-23-1923 m. Mr. Handy.
- Leslie Ryals Stratton b.12-12-1924 m. Mr. Gruver.
- James Cabell Tinsley b.5/16/1900 m. on 4-4-1922 Virginia Rinehart b.xxxx d.12-28-1930.
Thomas Tinsley (1/19/1874)(11/28/1904), lived in West Virginia.
Seaton Grantland Tinsley, Jr. (5/22/1877) m. Mary Hill on 11-3-1909. They lived in
St. Louis and had 1 child:
- Lane Schofield Anderson b.2/14/1896 d.9/27/1918 (World War I) married Julia Lewis de
Gruyter on 2/14/1918. They had 1 child:
- Lane Schofield Anderson b.2/7/1919.
- Seaton Tinsley Anderson b.1/10/1900.
- Frances Gaines Anderson b.9/23/1907 d.4/18/1999 in Greensboro, NC. Buried in
Hollywood Cemetery in Richmond. Taught school in Charleston, WV, never married.
Samuel Greenhow Tinsley (8/6/1881) m Mary Pindergass. They lived in Nashville, TN.
- Seaton Grantland Tinsley III b.10-7-1912 d.1-28-1919.
Some additional information and the picture of S. G. Tinsley supplied by Ann Tinsley
Obituary of Seaton G. Tinsley
Obituary of Fannie W. Tinsley
Will of Fannie W. Tinsley
Picture of Fannie Tinsley late in life
Picture of Seaton Grantland Tinsley.
Back to the Tinsley Main Page.
[ Surnames ] [ Individuals ] [ HOME ]
[ Changes ] [ About Me ]
Last updated 4/24/2014
Page by F. L. Preston