John Preston 1738-1803
New England Prestons - Littleton, MA & New Ipswich, NH
Samuel Preston b.1708 in Andover, MA and died 10-11-1781 in Littleton, MA. He was the
son of Samuel Preston and Sarah Bridges. Capt. Samuel
Preston and his wife Hannah Bridges, settled in Littleton, Mass. about 1728. Samuel was an
active and influential man in the town before the Revolution, and besides serving in a
military capacity, Samuel was the town Treasurer and served in other town offices. Samuel
Preston and his wife Hannah had 6 children: (Samuel married Mary Ivory on 9-2-1756, no
- Samuel Preston b.1728 in Littleton, MA. He was a Tanner and he died before
12-28-1759. He married Elizabeth Unknown and they had 3 children:
James Preston b.1-10-1730 in Littleton, MA and died 10-22-1814 in
Whitingham, VT. He married Elizabeth Russell on 7-12-1753 in Littleton. They had 12
- Elizabeth Preston b.9-4-1750 in Littleton, MA. She married Kendall Pearson on 12-3-1771.
- Abel Preston b.10-2-1753 in Littleton, MA.
- Abner Preston b.7-31-1756 in Littleton, MA.
Hannah Preston b.7-1733 in Littleton, MA and married Capt. Jonathan
John Preston b.9-22-1738, settled in New Ipswich, NH. More below.
Mary Preston b.5-13-1742 married Mathias Farnsworth.
Peter Preston b.2-17-1743 in Littleton, MA. No other information.
- Mary Preston b.5-18-1754 in Littleton, MA. Died in 1784. She married Silas Davis before
- Jemima Preston b.11-19-1755.
- Isaac Preston b.3-10-1757.
- Elizabeth Preston b.2-28-1759 and married Sylas Richard Tickney in 1807.
- Hannah Preston b.1-27-1761.
- Sarah Preston b.3-2-1763 d.2-8-1821.
- Samuel Preston b.1-15-1765 d.3-22-1766.
- Lydia Preston b.3-12-1768 and married Joseph Burroughs on 7-12-1790.
- Samuel Preston b.5-18-1769.
- James Preston b.5-22-1771 d.4-19-1772.
- Martha Preston b.1-8-1773 and married Benjamin Bacon on 5-28-1792.
- James Preston b.4-1-1775.
Dr. John Preston b.9-22-1738 d.2-17-1803, son of Captain Samuel
Preston, served in at least one campaign as a soldier in the company of his father in the
French and Indian War in 1756. The particulars of his early education are not known, but
at the age of 22 he settled in this town, New Ipswich, NH., as a physician.
On Nov. 29, 1764, Dr. Preston married Rebecca Farrar, the sister of a
minister. He became skillful and popular in his profession and continued as town Doctor
for 40 years. Dr. Preston was active in civic affairs, served the town as a representative
in the General Court and other town offices. In 1782, upon the resignation of Judge
Farrar, he was chosen a member of the Convention for framing a State Constitution. During
the Revolution, Dr. Preston was a most ardent Whig and did much to encourage the people to
make great exertions to aid the common cause. He built a large house where his descendents
lived at least until 1852. Rebecca was born 8-13-1743 in Concord, MA and died 4-1-1829 in
New Ipswich, NH. John Preston and his wife Rebecca Farrar had 13 children:
Rebecca Preston b.7-16-1768, married on 8-10-1791 John Hubbard a
graduate of Harvard in class of 1785.
John Preston b.2-15-1770 d.1828 graduated from Dartmouth in 1791. He
studied medicine partly with his father and partly with D. Holyoke of Salem. He opened an
apothecary's shop and commenced practice here in connection with his father in December
1794. He married Elizabeth Champney, daughter of Hon. Ebenezer Champney, on 1-21-1798.
John and Elizabeth had 10 children:
Samuel Farrar Preston b.12-26-1770 d.3-6-1771.
Lucy Preston b.12-3-1771 in New Ipswich, NH, married on 10-16-1794
Thomas Bancroft of Pepperell. Thomas died in 1846.
Samuel Farrar Preston b.8-10-1773 d.4-3-1774.
Lydia Preston b.10-26-1774 in New Ipswich, NH married Josiah Bellows on 11-3-1799 and
moved to Lancaster, New Hampshire. She died in Lancaster, NH on 1-8-1853.
Hannah Preston b.1-8-1776 in New Ipswich. She died 12-14-1843 unmarried.
Mary Preston b.1-5-1777 in New Ipswich, NH and died 11-5-1853 unmarried.
Samuel Preston b.6-24-1778 married Miss Taylor, daughter of Timothy
Taylor, Esq. of Dunstable. He moved to Norwalk, Ohio where he followed the vocation of
editor and printer of a newspaper. He was highly respected and filled a number of local
Stephen Farrar Preston b.6-2-1780 (twin) married Hannah Kimbal and lived in New Ipswich.
Timothy Farrar Preston b.6-2-1780 (twin) in New Ipswich, NH and died about 1853.
Peter Preston b.6-20-1782 died a young man at Cape Breton.
Anna 'Nancy' Preston b.8-10-1784 married Seth King October 1808. Seth died in 1851.
Nancy then lived in the family mansion with her brother Timothy and sisters Hannah and
Mary. She died 9-3-1863.
- Ebenezer Preston b.1799 d.1828 was an apothecary (druggist) in Boston.
- Rebecca Preston b.1800 d.1807.
- John Preston b.1802 graduated from Harvard in 1823 and practiced law in New Ipswich.
- Eliza Preston b.1804 married Elisha Hammond.
- Lucy Preston b.1805 married Francis K. Coragin.
- Abigail Preston b.1807 married Benjamin B. Brown.
- Maria Preston b.1809 d.1830.
- William Henry Preston b.1811.
- Thomas Preston b.1813.
- Rebecca Preston b.1815 married Benjamin F. Whipple.
Last updated 4/10/2007
Page by F. L. Preston